Pranayama has 2 main aims: One is control of the speed of breathing and the other is to attract cosmic vital force so that the gross, subtle and causal bodies get pervaded by this Divine Super Power. Pranayama also helps a lot in psyche control. An otherwise unruly and scattered mind can be focused at one point. Apart from this the path of warding off of mental distortions is laid down. In one voice the world of spiritual practices accepts the importance of Pranayama. It is also very important from the standpoint of accruing good mental and physical health.
When we breathe very fast the storehouse of power that sustains life dries up speedily and thus a long life span is not possible. The more the breathing is slow the more our life span attains longevity. This becomes crystal clear when scientifically a comparative research study is conducted on the breathing speeds of various creatures.
The speed of breathing and life span of various creatures is as follows:
Hare- breath 38- age 8 years; Pigeon- breath 37- age 8 years; Dog- breath 28- age 13 years; Goat- breath 24- age 14 years; Horse- breath 18- age 50 years; Man- breath 12- age 100 years; Elephant- breath 11- age 100 years; Snake- breath 7- age 120 years; Tortoise- breath 4- age 150 years.
In past times man breathed 11-12 times per minute and today we breathe 15-16 times. Thus his/her life span has decreased.
When the speed of breath increases, heat too augments. This in turn decreases ones life span. Those animals who pant like a dog i.e. whose panting is faster they die faster too. A point to note here is that panting and increase of heat are directly related. When man gets fever he starts panting. The same thing can be said differently wherein if our breath is fast our body too gets heated more. This increase of heat and fast breath end our life faster.
A scientist called Jactluve while disclosing the mystery of a long life says that today man’s bodily temperature is about 68.6. If it is rendered 46 then man can easily live for 1000 years.
In Pranayama we breathe deeply. During time of spiritual practice (Sadhana) special efforts are made and it is seen to that even at other rimes during the course of the day we do not breathe haphazardly. Instead one should always breathe deeply. Thus our health becomes sound and longevity of life is attained.
Ordinarily our lungs contract and relax 18 times per minute. In 24 hours the total number is 25620. Every breath has about 500 cc air because people breathe erroneously. Ordinarily for a body of sound health 1200 cc of air should be used. People despite realizing the need inhale only less than half the amount. It makes the body weak just as you eat half a portion of lunch or drink only half the amount of water. But knower of benefits of deep breathing always advise us to follow suit and tell us that wayward breathing leads to weakening of lungs. Thus illnesses like tuberculosis, cough, asthma etc will set in.
Taking deep breath means that the lungs get time to relax a bit and uses this little time to purify our blood more and more. Thus the heart too does not get over worked and will attain sound health. The famous footballer of England Midlothian was proud of his potent mind and energy. He attributed this to deep breathing. In every breath he inhaled 2000 cc of air whereas as laymen take in only 500 cc. It is the cheap but very important secret of good health and long life.
Dr McDonald opines: Taking deep breath not only means nourishing the lungs but that the digestive system too benefits. From the standpoint of blood purification deep breath is much more beneficial than all the medicines taken. Dr Knowles writes: Deep breathing helps man execute more tasks daily and gives zest too. Hard working laborers use more energy and hence should tire quickly. But this is not seen and they appear stronger. The chief reason for this is that with more hard work their lungs too work more and hence more blood purification takes place. Dr Matno further opines that deep breathing beneficially influences the brain. The benefits include good memory power and zest for life.
Lungs are at work predominantly in air circulation in the physical body. In the subtle body it is carried out by the navel center. The physical body inhales/exhales air via the nose whereas the subtle body circulates air. Prana is an electric force which like oxygen is merged in air. Via inhalation and exhalation it comes and goes. Of course its existence is very much different from air. No doubt salt is mixed in ocean water and yet they exist slightly apart.
Prana is an energy flow that flows in the subtle nerves of the subtle body. Just as despite blood and its veins have a strong bond yet they exist apart from one another. Similarly although a strong bond exists between subtle nerves of subtle body and Prana that flows in it yet they exist separately.
Preliminarily we can say that via control of Prana such Sidhis (Divine Powers) can be attained for which modern science will take centuries to attain. Sacred material science encompasses Pranayama, Prana control via it and good use of this mastered Prana. This should not be looked upon as a boon of some angel or grace of God. In its pristine pure form it is but of utility value akin to the body machine used like a factory. In Hatha Yoga many such Pranayamas are well known and many miracles as a result are seen. A few decades back Sir Edmund Hillary conducted the ‘Ocean to Sky’ expedition. During that time an aged Hatha Yogi of Allahbad tied a silken thread to the 60 horse power machined boat of Hillary and saw to it that the boat did not move even one inch ahead. This was energy of pure Pranayama and yet in comparison to the energy generated by such Pranayama if a Yogi errs the repercussions are very dire and unwholesome. Misuse of atomic energy is as harmful for the doer as it is for the enemy. Keeping this in mind Indian Yoga Seers unearthed such Pranayama exercises which can be performed by a person of any physical/mental state. Over here we shall elucidate 3 such Pranayamas. Every year perform one type of Pranayama daily. If the number of hours of practice is increased daily the time taken to master will be about 6 months. In the 4th year all Pranayamas should be practiced together. After this is completed Yoga aspirants/Sadhaks can contact: All World Gayatri Family, Shantikunj, Haridwar, Uttaranchal, India or www.awgp.org
- THE FIRST YEAR’S PRANAKARSHAN PRANAYAM:
1) In the early pre dawn hours after performing daily ablutions sit cross legged facing the eastern direction. Place both hands on the knees. Close your eyes. Meditate on the fact that in the entire sky Prana principle full of light and energy pervades it. Prana akin to clouds of hot steam shining in sun light are flowing towards us from all directions. And within this Prana we are seated contentedly, peacefully and joyfully.
2) From both nostrils start inhaling and meditate on the fact that we are imbibing within the body clouds of Prana principle. Just as a bird and snake enter their nest and hole in the same way scattered Prana flow around us is entering our body via the nose. Thus it is also entering our brain, chest, heart, stomach and all other organs.
3) When you inhale deeply stop it from getting exhaled for sometime and feel mentally: The Prana I have inhaled is now pervading every pore of my body. Just as when you pour water on mud it soaks the water so too our bodily parts are like dry mud and water as Prana is being soaked by our entire body. Further our body is also fully imbibing consciousness, divine light, strength, zest, enterprise, patience and valor that are conjoined to Prana (vital force).
4) Try and stop exhalation (after inhaling air) as much as you are comfortable and then slowly exhale this air. At that time mentally think: After imbibing the essence of Prana in every pore of our body dirty air is being emitted out of our body. It is like throwing away remnants after butter is churned from buttermilk. All mental taints and distortions are being emitted via exhalation of this air and like black smoke it is throwing out all unwholesome imprints of the psyche.
5) After exhaling fully let the air remain outside for sometime. Meaning live without air for sometime and think: Since all the taints of my mind have been exhaled I will shut all doors on them. Now these distortions have run away miles from me.
Before doing Japa (Mantra chanting) daily perform this Prana Akarshan Pranayama classified in 5 parts. Initially perform 5 rounds of this Pranayama. After this every month increase the number by 1 more round of Pranayama. After increasing thus in 1 year you should be able to do it for ½ an hour.
- LOM-VILOM SURYAVEDHAN PRANAYAMA:
For the 1st year the above Pranakarshan Pranayama has to be done and in the 2nd year one must practice Lom-Vilom Suryavedhan Pranayama as follows-
1) In a peaceful lonely area be seated with balanced poise. Face the east, sit cross legged, sit in the easy lotus posture, spine should be erect, eyes must be half shut, place hands on both knees. This is called the Prana Mudra and be seated thus.
2) Bend the left hand and keep it slanting. In its palms place the elbow of the right hand. Raise the right hand. Place the thumb on the right nostril and place the middle and ring finger on the left nostril.
3) Close the left nostril with the help of the middle and ring finger. When you inhale air it must not be spread out in the lungs merely but should go to your navel area also. Slowly allow the air to fill up the stomach comfortably.
4) Meditate on the fact that the sun’s light on mixing with air enters the body via the Pingala subtle nerve situated in the right nostril. Its heat is radiating our inner bodily organs.
5) Let the inhaled air remain for sometime inside. Shut both the nostrils and meditate on the fact that via the concentrated light of Prana of Nabhi (navel) Chakra (subtle plexus) is getting focused in the navel subtle plexus. The Solar Plexus having remained latent for a long time in the navel is now being influenced by this concentrated Prana light. Hence it is becoming radiant and its aura is continuously augmenting.
6) Now shut the right nostril with the thumb. Open the left nostril. Slowly exhale air from the left nostril. Now meditate on the fact that the dirt that induces inactivation in the Chakras is being emitted totally. Now since this dirt is mixed with the exhaled air it is no longer radiant as it was when vital force was inhaled. It is hence becoming yellow in color and via the Ida subtle nerve it is being emitted from the left nostril’s exhaled air.
7) Now close both the nostrils. Render the lungs empty i.e. devoid of air. Meditate that the external vital force remains outside only. Since it does not pressurize the internal vital force it is very light in weight. The Prana of the Navel Chakra is focused like the sun. Like a ball of light it rises upwards as fire flames. Its flames travel from the upper region of the stomach to the throat. In the inner subtle Sushumna nerve this ball of fire (vital force) is making radiant the internal body.
8) With the thumb close the right nostril and inhale air from the left nostril. Think that via the Ida subtle nerve Prana shining brilliantly like the sun and mixed in air is entering the body. This light is entering the Solar Plexus situated in the navel along the spine (Merudand). There it is getting focused. Due to the focus of this radiant light the Solar Plexus or Surya Chakra is becoming more radiant.
9) Now shut both the nostrils. Stop the air from flowing out of the body. Meditate that radiant Prana mixed with inhaled air is entering the navel’s Solar Plexus and is rendering it permanently radiant. The radiance keeps augmenting and like tongues of flames is marching upwards. Because of this light the Sushumna subtle nerve is getting nourished ceaselessly.
10)Close the left nostril and from the right nostril slowly exhale air. Meditate that the dirt of Surya Chakra like smoke mixed with radiant breath is rendering the latter opaque and yellow. This yellow Prana air is being evicted outside via the Pingala subtle nerve. Now since the inner dirt has been removed the psyche/heart feels light and radiant.
11)Now again shut both the nostrils and as given in point number 6) render the lungs empty i.e. devoid of any air. Feel the ball of light of Sushumna subtle nerve going upward from Navel Chakra to the throat. Experience that divine brilliant light shines in the inner bodily parts.
This is one Lom-Vilom Surya Vedhan Pranayama. Prana pulled within via inhalation of air is awakening the Solar Plexus in the navel region. It pierces its lethatgy and dark gloominess. From there via the Sushumna path this radiance travels to the stomach, chest and throat. Hence this Pranayama is called Surya Vedhan. Lom means straight and Vilom means upside down. Once straight – once upside down. Then upside down and then straight. Then upside down, inhaling from left, emitting from right. Inhaling from right and exhaling from left. Because of this cycle of straight/upside down it is called Lom-Vilom Surya Vedhan Pranayama.
3) Naadi Shodhan Pranayama for the 3rd year:
1) In predawn hours facing the east, with spine erect sit cross legged. Keep the eye lids half shut.
2) Close the right nostril. Inhale air from the left nostril and keep on pulling it till the Navel Chakra.
3) Meditate on the fact that in the navel area is present the full moon like cool light. The inhaled air is touching it.
4) Stop the breath from going out for as long as you had inhaled it. Meditate that the inhaled air which touched the cool full moon like light of Navel Chakra is itself becoming cool and radiant.
5) Now exhale air from the same nostril from which you inhaled air. Meditate that the air (exhalation) which has become cool and radiant on touching the Navel Chakra is making the Ida subtle nerve (from which it is exhaled) cool and radiant while exhaling.
6) For sometime let the exhaled air remain outside (do not inhale) and again start the above mentioned process. From the left nostril inhale air and from it, exhale too. Close the right nostril with the right thumb. Do this cycle 3 times.
7) Just as you had done Poorak, Kumbhak, Rechak, Bahya Kumbhak from the left nostril in the same way do it from the right nostril. In the Navel Chakra meditate on the sun instead of the moon. While exhaling air think that the air being exhaled while touching the sun in the navel is rendering the breathing tube warm and radiant.
8) While closing the left nostril, perform the above action 3 times.
9) Now open both nostrils. Inhale air simultaneously from both nostrils and do not let it go out (do not exhale). While opening the mouth exhale air from it. This action should be carried out only once.
Three times while inhaling and exhaling from the left nostril meditate on the cool radiant moon on the Navel Chakra. Three times while inhaling and exhaling from the right nostril meditate on the warm radiant sun on the Navel Chakra. Once inhale from both nostrils, shut the nostrils and exhale slowly from the mouth. All these 7 steps put together makes 1 Naadi Shodhan Pranayama (Yogic subtle nerve purification).
- In the 4th year practice all together:
After successfully executing the 3 Pranayamas in the 4h year practice these 3 Pranayamas together. Initially 3 Pranakarshan, 2 Lom-Vilom Surya Vedhan and 1 Naadi Shodhan should be done. Later its number can be augmented in the above ratio.
After practicing the above the aspirant or Sadhak will get divine experiences. This can be demonstrated to a trustworthy person guidance too can be asked for but never should be this used for idle superficial information and talk. If these Pranayamas have matured then on the basis of experiences attained so far further guidance can be taken from www.awgp.org
IMPORTANT POINTS TO NOTE REGARDING PRANAYAMA PRACTICE/SADHANA:
1) Practice Pranayama on an empty stomach.
2) The place should be pure with fresh air. Never practice Pranayama where there is foul stench.
3) Initially perform only 1 or 2 Pranayamas and only later increase time and number.
4) After performing Pranayama for 1 hour do not lift heavy objects.
5) Praqna energy in its pure aspect has potential of electricity. Hence just like laws of electricity until the newly generated Prana (vital force) is not properly ‘digested’ till then do not touch metals that conduct electricity. There is no harm in touching gold, silver ornaments and others of its class.
6) During Pranayama practice as much as is possible, avoid sexual activities because like other bodily organs during such times genitals can get excited very easily. During this time span either do not comb your hair or do it your self and instead of being bare foot wear footwear made of cloth or wood.
7) If you sleep on bedsteads do not use very soft bedding, pillows etc that give pleasure to the body.
All these are points of caution which help faster advancement of Vital Force and Vital Body. Pranayama is a direct science whose benefits can be availed by any one be it an atheist or a theist. You may or may not get miraculous gains yet most definitely you gain in a mundane manner wherein you get a long life span, good health, zest, daring, brilliance in eyes, deep sleep, light weight physically etc.
AUTHOR: Shriram Sharma Acharya founder of the International Gayatri Family was a great Yogi seer and incarnation of God who wrote volumes of scientific literature mainly on spiritual subjects for world welfare and peace. For more scientific e literature pls visit http://www.shriramsharma.com/books.htm http://www.awgpestore.com http://www.dsvv.ac.in/www.akhandjyoti.org and http://www.awgp.org/ DESCRIPTION: Free e-books on Chakra meditation-ESP, Nirvikalpa Samadhi or Thought Free Trance, Attaining Ridhi-Sidhis or Divine Energies, Future Scientific Religion, Super Energy Gayatri Science & Kundalini correlated to Neurosciences-ESP, Endocrinology, Anatomy, Psychology & Sociology for 1) material & spiritual prosperity & 2) uniting the world peacefully as a family. Ours is a strictly non-commercial website which aims at realizing the age old dream of great leaders and thinkers of the world: A beautiful borderless world. KEYWORDS: Kundalini Yoga Gayatri e-books ultra sound telepathy parapsychology metaphysics nirvikalpa Samadhi pollution yoga tantra movies internet hypnotism ecology astrology ayurveda kalki bioelectricity surgery lasers ozone radar stress creativity archeology Indus Valley Civilization fuel crisis food scarcity tsunamis biography Guru world peace mind psyche god nerve subtle consciousness soul divine trance endocrine glands ESP Chakras plexus meditation concentration intellect prophecy thought thinking Cheiro Nostradamus Aurobindo bliss brain Vedas solar sun energy sacred pure sense organs Prana Avatar Upanishad light cell hypothalamus pituitary transformation futurist prediction serpent power life human ethics integrity character vagus Tantra Mooladhar atom neutron proton