POWERFUL BUT VERY CORRUPT:
It is believed that by the year 2025 AD China, India and Brazil shall become very powerful. The power of America, European Union, Japan and Russia shall diminish. Despite this USA will top, followed by china and 3rd spot shall belong to India. This observation has been given by ‘Institute for Securities Studies’ in the report titled ‘Global Governance-2025’. This news is very potent and full of hope. Progress in the communication industry, a large number of people in the Skilled Task Force etc are paving the way for our gigantic economic progress. Since labor charge is very less over here, labor is very cheap in India. Multinational companies hence are blooming here. Indians are hard working, self dependent but yet since poverty, inequality and corruption are rampant will this dream of super power status get realized? Daily new statistics regarding black money force us to ponder whether this journey shall reach its desired destination?
EVERY 3rd PERSON IS CORRUPT:
An institute called ‘Transparency International’ ceaselessly monitors corruption the world over. Amongst top 10 corrupt countries of the world India stands at 3rd spot. According to this institution every 3rd person of India is corrupt. They always bribe to get their work done. Corruption has entered the very blood of Indian citizens. Corruption is verily a social taint. Why is it that it has become a status symbol? Today a corrupt person walks arrogantly with head held high. Previously such people walked with heads down in shame. Citizens of India who hope to become an economic super power fail to understand that their nation is becoming brittle and hollow because of blatant corruption. It appears as though it has been full accepted at the social level as a way of life. According to this institute even today 20% of Indians who listen to the call of their conscience live lives of ethics and integrity. 30% are totally immersed in corrupt practice and the remaining stand on its precipice. ‘The more one is wealthy, the more one is honored-this belief that has developed in the past 2 decades is in its true sense a shame and taint on our country.
IS THIS THEN THE SOLUTION?
It will not be correct to write again and again statistics regarding this topic as quoted by Anna Hazare and his related organization ‘India Against Corruption’ and Baba Ramdev’s ‘Bharat Swabhiman Trust’ yet it is important to draw our attention to some important points. We may keep shouting ‘bring back black money hoarded in alien countries’ yet this movement shall not get fulfilled till the very thinking process of our governing bodies transform positively. It is no use if every lay person does not get awakened. When every citizen thinks about welfare of its country, that very wealthy country too shall work for people’s well being.
A BIRD’S EYE VEW:
Let us first delve deep into as to why such a situation manifested at all?
- a) After economic reforms were ushered in India in 1991 AD people started eking out more income and thus started immersing in sense merriment. It was not as if previous to this black money was not hoarded yet it is only in the past about 15 years that a naked showcasing of sense pleasures and vain pomp has augmented manifold. Where did all this money come from? Hard work, fixed monthly income from jobs, agriculture cannot reap so much cash. For this end short cuts were taken and slowly people started becoming nouveau riche.
- b) By joining the government and thus by moving in cars with red/yellow lights one can lead a grand exotic life-this belief has increased in society. Corrupt practices of government and their officers are rising swiftly. Not a few millions but billions of cash is eked out via corruption. No doubt many cases were filed against them in courts but these cases never moved ahead. How can a government’s agency work against officials of the government itself? If one’s own paramour is a police officer whom shall one get scared of? More than 3000 such corrupt officials are leading serene lives. They run their families using ill gotten wealth and arrogantly laughing aloud at others. Nothing much happens even if one or two corrupt ministers get imprisoned. We must unearth that well which contains water mixed with alcohol of corruption and drinking which every addict jumps into the bandwagon of corruption.
- c) A majority of people have given up hopes from getting true justice from the judicial system in India. Leaving apart the apex court majority of Indians opine that gaining justice is full of expenses, woven with corruption and full of delays. Regarding judicial reforms a survey was done on about 100,000 citizens of 9 states. 75% of the people bluntly said that they have no faith in justice meted out by courts of laws. Court cases get prolonged for years simply by bribing court officials and thus delaying the whole justice process. Everyone wants judicial reforms. Our Supreme Court made a very fiery observation regarding a High Court saying: Doesn’t everyone know that majority of the judges in your court are corrupt?
- d) Income Tax, Sales Tax, Excise and RTO Departments are believed to be extremely corrupt. There is a lot of competition to get enlisted in these departments. These are said to be jobs full of ‘creamy butter’. Majority of lawyers have become wealthy in the past 2 decades by fighting court cases of officials attached to the above departments.
- e) Revered Gurudeva Shriram Sharma opined that shirking work is the biggest crime. This exactly is the observation made in a very recent report put forth by ‘Institute of Defense Studies and Analysis’. They write that remaining absent in offices and shirking work is a silent mode of corruption which is eating up India like termites eat up wood. This institute opines that misusing public offices and posts for personal gains is definitely a form of corruption.
- f) Many government agencies like Election Commission, CAG, CVC etc are supposed to help obstruct corruption yet dirty politics have entered their very foundation. 75% companies in India due to corporate corruption have to shoulder millions of rupees of loss. Our country India has powerful laws, government is elected and there is a potent democracy yet corruption breeds like flies here. This is because all of above mentioned are involved in it.
DOES IT LOOK AS THOUGH TRANSFORMATION SHALL UHER IN?
We certainly do not know what shall be the result of Shri Anna Hazare and Baba Ramdev’s hunger strike. It is not so important to know what is happening in New Delhi but what is noteworthy is that whether every individual realizes his/her responsibility or not. As long as we refuse to reform ourselves governance will persist as is seen today and that it shall get worse day after day. Instead of harboring hopes in the political system citizen’s awakening must be directed towards self reform and spiritual evolution. When we all measure our self and soul not on the basis of how much material wealth we possess but how righteous are we in carrying out world welfare duties like cogs in a wheel, then material wealth shall no longer become the be all and end all of life as is seen today. For this end the largest democracy of the world in the next 5 years shall have to undergo a fiery test. Merely by enacting the Jan Lokpal Bill, recalling black wealth stashed away in alien countries and changing the form of currencies shall not bring about a much required total transformation. If at all it sets in it will be due to a desired transformation of the psyche and thinking process. The winds of change shall definitely appear if agitations are carried out against corrupt people in various arenas of life, expensive weddings/parties full of pomp etc.
THUS WE SHALL GET LIBERATED FROM TAINTS:
It is only our spiritual advancement that shall help absolve us from the taints of corruption. Thus not only shall we understand the pain of urban but rural population too. Schemes of their all round advancement shall harbinger in via village self rule. In order to uproot corruption we shall have to travel to every district and village instead of visiting air conditioned offices of our capital New Delhi. We must alert and awaken our people. We must help them understand their duties towards their country. Every lay citizen can definitely do this much. We must commence this task ourselves and with our family members and thus if render this aim mobile in entire society the demon called corruption shall easily be defeated once and for ever. This is in fact a type of wine that renders us inebriated. If hence we wish to save ourselves from its dizziness we must become a part of the Thought Revolution floated by Yug Nirman Mission. Yuga Rishi Shriram Sharma proclaimed: ‘Corruption can only be wiped out by reforming ourselves first’; ‘If we change, this era shall change’. Thus the onus lies on us to take up this great gigantic responsibility. Instead of finding out what is happening in New Delhi if 10,000,000 people keep an eye on 100 people in their vicinity and help advance a system to awaken them then till 2020 AD India can become a clean, ethical and spiritual country. Hence the million dollar question is: Are we ready to shoulder this great responsibility?